6.01.2011

Expectations vs. Reality

Expectation: Beautiful children who I love and who love me so much that they do nothing but give me hugs and smiles and make me laugh.  We go on lots of family vacations and have wonderful experiences and when they're in their 20's we have conversations about what a perfect childhood they had and how grateful they are to me and dad for their wonderful life :)




Reality: Beautiful children who I love and who love me so much...but really test my patience.  And sometimes I think they hate me.  Maybe next year we'll have wonderful experiences...or maybe after they graduate.

Really life is great, just not like what I see in my imagination.  You'd never know it from the pictures right?  But on a day like today or yesterday, when all 3 kids are crying at once, Jade is peeing on the floor or coloring on the walls, or telling me "You're making me have a really hard time today",  I think I've got to be doing something wrong.  I am not creating the kinds of experiences and memories that I see happening for my family in my mind.  How do you do it--make reality meet your expectations?? I've got to be doing something right, because look how cute my kids are :)

Anyway, I think about this clip from "500 Days of Summer" a lot.  And no, my life is not as dramatic as all this.  But it gets the point across.  I think this is such a cool scene.  And sorry about the german or whatever subtitles at the bottom...





10 comments:

Daryn N said...

I've had that song in my head all day :) I love your kids, and you are a wonderful momma. Love you sister.
Your boys are starting to look more like Jade, in a boyish way :)

Jannet said...

Why do your blogs always make me laugh and cry both at the same time? This one was beautiful.

"No one's got it all..." Yep, you've pretty much got that one right.

But seeing these pictures, I somehow feel like we all pretty much do. Love you!

Jeremy and Brigitte said...

I don't think I have this quote exactly right, but on the movie just married the guy's dad tells him that life is what gets you from one happy snapshot to the next. You only see the good days and times in a photo album. Its something along those lines anyway. If every day was a perfect happy memory they wouldn't stand out in our minds. Happy and wonderful days stand out in our minds because they don't occur every day. They are the special ones. Opposition. We have to have some crummy days to appreciate the good ones.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry Whitney. I wish you had more support closer by. Maybe someday, you can look back on the three kids crying and one peeing on the floor and laugh about it??? Maybe??? Anyway, your kids WILL talk about what great parents you are and you WILL have awesome vacations. Just remember you are in survival mode right now, it won't always be this hard. Love you! Sharon

Sharon McKee said...

Lohn Says... Hey, awesome shirts guys!

Amber said...

i love that movie :)

and GEEZ-- I can relate. expectations are a hard thing. I expect the same thing-- happy kids, happy memories, no tantrums. but it doesn't happen. so we get through our day the best we can. hang in there-- tomorrow will be better. hopefully no pee on the carpet!!

Jannet said...

Yea...What Sharon and Brigette said...

Jannet said...

And one more thing! Those boys are almost as big now as skinny minnie Jade! So much for the premie thing!

Jannet said...

And I was just thinking how cool it is now that the boys have a big sister and how cool it will be later when she has two big brothers...

Meredith said...

oh man i hear ya. i only have one but there are some days where it's like: what is wrong with me?? why is my kid so nuts right now? and those moments usually happen in public. so awesome. ;)
YOURS, MINE AND OURS