10.17.2011

Temples and testimony

I missed both Saturday sessions of General Conference this month so today I found time to go back and start listening from the beginning (don't ask me how).  While listening to President Monson's "opening remarks" (which happened halfway through the first session if you didn't know) I was struck by the fact that 4 of the cities in Central America that I visited on my dance tour in 2004 now have temples in them.  When I was there, all of Central America only had 2.  I went back and read the mission statement of the BYU-Idaho Contemporary Dance company, which says that we agree to "stand as witness of God at all times, and in all things, and in all places" (Mosiah 18:9 in the Book of Mormon) and by so doing we will become missionaries for the gospel of Jesus Christ.


Lately I've been feeling that I'm using a lot of time trying to continue dancing that could be better spent doing something else.  But today I'm feeling very proud and grateful to have been given a talent that I feel could have had a huge impact in bringing others to the knowledge of the gospel.  Afterall, there are now temples in Quetzaltenango, Guatemala; Tegucigalpa, Honduras; San Salvador, El Salvador; and Panama City, Panama; all places that I visited hoping to share my testimony of the savior through my talents and example. The Lord no doubt knew that the people in those nations needed to be prepared for the building of new temples, and hopefully I was an instrument in those preparations.

East Coast tour 2005.  I have a pretty special bond with ALL of these girls.  Forever.

4 comments:

Daryn N said...

you're a beautiful dancer and a wonderful example :) I'd get baptized if i saw you dance...and i wasn't already baptized. Love you, and your long skinny dancer legs :)

Jeremy and Brigitte said...

LOVE THIS! I miss dancing. I need to figure out how to do it down here.

Murdocks said...

Central America was the tour that changed my thinking about being a missionary through our dancing. I miss you friend!

Jannet said...

It's midnight and I still want to comment on your next post but i just wanted to tell you that I thought this was such a beautiful post. And it made me feel so thankful that you are my daughter.