8.28.2008

Jewell Segriff Milam

I recently learned that my friend and college roommate, Jewell Milam, has been battling cancer. I've been sitting around for the last couple of days trying to think about what I could do to help her and her family, but I don't have any experience with this kind of situation really. I mean, if it were me or Aaron, what could people do for me that would bring me comfort? I have no idea. But I needed to do SOMETHING. So I thought I would just share some of my memories of her.

I started my first year of college 7 years ago. I showed up in a new town all the way from Michigan with almost no one that I knew and completely unprepared for mormon culture. As soon as I met my 5 new roommates (Jacque, Tisha, Lynette, Amy, and Jewell), I was immediately nervous because they had all already been roommates before. But within the first week (and after my first trip to the mesh maze!) we were becoming best friends and for the rest of the year, they were my family. Jewell was the first to teach me how to play the guitar, which I still try to do now. We saw her first kiss with her husband Scott (who ironically had been a missionary in my home ward). She wrote a song to sing to a boy I liked to help me ask him to a dance. But the thing I remember most is her cheerful personality and positive attitude. It was exactly what I needed. My roommates that first year of college were a perfect mix of what Heavenly Father new I needed to make me the person I am today (which is someone I'm much more proud of than before that year). I'm grateful to Jewell for being a part of that. She is wonderful!

She has been more positive through this experience with her illness than I could ever imagine. Her husband and children are lucky to have her in their lives. I am praying for her recovery and for her and her family to be comforted, and I hope you will all keep her in your prayers as well.

Here are some pictures of our time together. Sorry about the quality, they're scans of old pictures! Gotta love the pre-digital age. Love you Jewell!

Celebrating our friend Nick's birthday at Denny's in the middle of the night.

Getting ready to go watch Jewell audition for guitars unplugged

Jewell and Scott pre-married life

In front of our school sign with the roommates and neighbors

In front of Colonial House #208

Those were good times!


Below I am adding pictures that people have sent to me. These first ones are from Charity Hammock Carter.



2 comments:

Scott said...

thanks Whitney, that was very nice of you. Jewell loved it. Thanks for your friendship to both of us. Her optomism and cheerful disposition will be her legacy. thanks again!

Jannet said...

That was really beautiful Whit. I was so sad to hear of this news.